Soupy Tuesday 2: Sweet Basil, Cauliflower, and Toasted Corn Chowder

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Well, I've certainly made a dent in the current corn surplus in my apartment:

Not gonna lie, this was one of the best soups I've ever made, and I make a lot of soups. It's a great late summer evening soup for when you're still feeling bright and sunny but the weather is starting to cool down.

I'm not going to post the full recipe because frankly it was too experimental. I was just adding dashes of things I had around without really measuring. But I will give you what was basically the key to making this delicious: toasting the corn.

While my base was simmering I cut the corn straight from the cob (4 ears) and sauteed it in Earth Balance, black pepper, and the leftover basil sea salt. When it started getting all toasty I glazed the pan with a little white wine. This could make a great side dish on its own, and I'm pretty sure that whatever soup base I put it into, it would have made it heavenly.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet you that is wonderful!!!

Sharon said...

Thanks! I hope to attempt it again soon with some specific measurements of ingredients so I can post a full recipe.